Sunday, February 10, 2013

Calculated Risks

Calculated Risks have variables that you can't always predict the end results.

Recently, someone made a calculated risk with me and their business with me. They probably didn't predict it, but they are losing my business because of that risk. They may not even realize for a while that I made that choice, but at this point, I'm only using their services when it is convenient to me. I am beyond nice. As I mentioned in our last post, my compassion and understanding sometimes reminds me that I need to set up a boundary. When you find yourself getting pushed around by someone and they are well-intentioned, it's hard to not accommodate. But it has started to become inconvenient to me and there's no other foundation in the relationship except me paying for their services. It's of no fault of the other person either and I don't want it to poorly reflect on them, which is why I'm not linking to their service page or bad-mouthing them overall. It was a business decision. They made that calculated risk and the result may not have been what they predicted. And the relationship outside of business will not be affected in my opinion. Perhaps one day, I'll tell the person the reason I stopped or decreased my visits because of how they were treating me as a customer, but for now, I'll leave it be. As one of my best friends says, "It is what it is."

But this experience made me wonder how many customers have we lost because of this same behavior? We're all selfish in our ways and Josh and I have had to put up boundaries around Brass Hammer Designs to make sure that we aren't pushed around by our customers or put out without getting paid. It boils down to this: Josh is an artist. He does this because he enjoys it. If you like what he does, then you can buy it or pass it along with your friends. If you don't like it, that's okay. It's art. Not everyone gets every piece of art by an artist. Sometimes the artist doesn't even like his artwork and believe me, Josh and I talk about that a lot. He doesn't like some of the pieces that I find the most beautiful. And then we're surprised when spoons catch people's eyes and they only cost $20-$75, but then a $300 bowl just doesn't seem to catch the eye of anyone... It's really interesting.



But it's all calculated risks.... We make a $300 bowl, no one buys it. Maybe one day, someone will. But for now, it's inventory that just sits. Will Brass Hammer Designs ever be anything more than a hobby that we want to share with the world? Perhaps... But we'll take those calculated risks of Josh selling his pieces as he expresses himself through the artwork.

Until Next Time.... Jen Crandall, Wife/Manager
Brass Hammer Designs (Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Etsy and Twitter!)

No comments:

Post a Comment